Saturday, December 5, 2009

Soliman

I was very touched by a story that Brian Williams reported on in Afghanistan.  He reported on a struggling orphanage in Kabul he visited while there.  I didn't see the initial story, but I did see the second mention of it one night.  There wasn't a hesitation or in my mind or heart.  I wanted to help.

I should probably step back and say that I love children, became a teacher and was hopeful to have many of my own.  I was blessed with two amazing sons.

I went on line and found the report and the link to the agency.  Again, computer overload from the incredible response the story generated.  Every 30 minutes or so while I worked on my computer I checked to see if there was a child a could help.  An hour and a half later, there he was Soliman.  This little guy with amazing eyes! See pictures of him below!!


Soliman is 11 years old.  He lives in the SitaraAF orphanage in Kabul Afghanistan.  His favorite subject is Dari (language) and his favorite activity is Cricket.  His father had been killed during the Taliban attack in Shamali area.  He was working in a fruit garden when he was killed.  This event badly affected his mother whose mental health was affected.  Soliman wants to become a good engineer.  He has a small sister who looks after the house and he works at a mechanic shop.





No comments: